Heather Bond Vargas
Ms. Vargas is a shareholder at Cobb Cole and has been practicing intellectual property law in the community since 2000. Her intellectual property practice centers on registration, licensing, administrative dispute proceedings, and litigation for trademark and copyright matters. She also advises clients in connection with website, e-commerce and technology law issues, including compliance with federal privacy, anti-spam and copyright infringement laws. Ms. Vargas has written several articles about intellectual property issues for local publications, and regularly presents to community and business groups about intellectual property protection and enforcement. Ms. Vargas is board-certified by The Florida Bar in intellectual property law, and is AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating possible.
In addition to her intellectual property practice, Ms. Vargas has been assisting business owners and individuals with estate planning, probate and guardianship matters since 2010. Her estate planning practice centers on the analysis of a client's assets and family situation to determine the type of estate planning that will best serve the client's needs, including business succession planning, avoidance of probate and guardianship, and planning for nontraditional families.
Ms. Vargas is a native of Daytona Beach. After receiving her undergraduate and law degrees from the University of Richmond, she practiced law in California before returning home in 1999 with her husband, Omar. They have two children, Diego and Abigail.
Ms. Vargas was actively involved in the capital campaign to build the STAR Family Shelter for homeless families with children and served as the president of the STAR Board for the first three years of operation. Out of gratitude for her service, the STAR Center's medical center is named for her and her family.
Areas of Practice
- Computer and Internet Law
- Estate Planning
- Intellectual Property Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified in Intellectual Property Law
- Florida, 2000
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- University of Richmond, The T.C. Williams School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
- J.D. - 1996
- University of Richmond
- Bachelor of Arts cum laude - 1994
- Major: English
- Major: Sociology
- Presenter, Intellectual Property Symposium: University of Central Florida Business Incubation Program - "Trademarks, Copyrights and E-Commerce
- Presenter, Senior Expo - "Wills, Trusts and Other Estate Planning Documents"
- Presenter, Stetson University Social Entrepreneurship Class - "Non-Profit Fiduciary Duties"
- Presenter, Volusia County Bar Association Seminar - "Patents, Trademarks, Copyright and Domain Name Issues"
- Author, Volusia Flagler Business Report - "What's In a Name? For Businesses, It Can Mean Quite a Lot"
- Presenter, It's Your Money Radio Program WNDB 1150 - "How to Choose An Attorney"
- Presenter, 2009 Business 2 Business Expo - "Starting a New Product Line, New Division or New Business - What Do I Do First?"
- Presenter, It's Your Money Radio Program WNDB 1150 - "More about Copyright"
- Presenter, It's Your Money Radio Program WNDB 1150 - "Copyright"
- Presenter, Vision for Success Webinar - "Intellectual Property"
- Presenter, It's Your Money Radio Program WNDB 1150 - "Intellectual Property"
- Presenter, The Tony Jackson Radio Show WAPN 91.5 - "Basics of Intellectual Property"
- Presenter, Daytona Regional Intellectual Property Symposium, February 20, 2009
- Author, Communicator Newsletter of The Volusia County Bar Association - "Intellectual Property: What is it and Why Do I Care? - Four part series dealing with trademarks and copyrights
- Presenter, Export 101: Introduction to Exporting - "Protecting Your Interests Abroad - Intellectual Property Rights"
- Panelist, Women in Business Symposium, "Banking, Law, Taxes and Insurance for Business Owners
- Presenter, Daytona State College Growth Venture Entrepreneurs Class, "Intellectual Property as a Means of Building Value in a Business"
- Presenter, It's Your Money Radio Program WNDB 1150 - "Estate Tax Legislation"
- Panel Member, Business Hotline Program, WCEU-TV - "Patents, Copyrights, and Trademarks"
- Presenter, Stetson University Entrepreneurship Class, "Intellectual Property Licensing"
- Panel Member, Barry University School of Law, "Ethical Issues in Trademark and Copyright Practice"
- Presenter, Daytona Beach, Jacksonville, and Spacecoast Advertising Federations, "Federal Laws You and Your Clients Should Know About when Designing Websites and Direct Mail/Contact Campaigns"
- Presenter, Generation Ormond - "Intellectual Property"
Honors and Awards
- Volusia-Flagler Coalition for the Homeless Richard Sydney Vought Award for Service to the Homeless
- National Association of Women Lawyers Award
- Book Award for Professional Responsibility
- Florida Super Lawyers' Rising Stars, 2012
- Super Lawyer 2015-2016
- STAR Family Center named its medical clinic the Bond-Vargas Care Center
- VMA's 2016 Dream it! Do it! Champion
- Graduated with Honors from Florida Bankers Association Graduate Trust and Wealth Management School
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Volusia County Bar Association
- University of Central Florida Business Incubation Program Board of Advisors
- Star Center for the Homeless, Past President
- Executive Women's Council, Past President
- Volusia/Flagler Coalition for the Homeless, Past President
- Junior League of Daytona Beach, Past Vice-President of Community Service
- Leadership Daytona, Class XXV (2005), Graduate
- Florida Bar Intellectual Property Certification Exam Committee, Chair, 2017-2018