How can you track communication with an aggressive ex-spouse?

| Nov 29, 2019 | Divorce

As you move through divorce, you may find that your soon-to-be ex-spouse is more aggressive and disrespectful than they were in the past. It might become frustrating to talk to them, because you know that every instance will result in a fight.

Fortunately, there are a few ways that you can track your communications and show the court the kind of negative behavior that your ex-spouse displays. If you have children, this can be particularly helpful if there are problems with custody or the way that your ex-spouse is interacting with them when speaking about you.

How can you track communication with an ex-spouse?

One good option is to make sure your communications go through a phone recorder or are written. Some good written communication options include:

  • Notes written on paper (and copied for your records)
  • Emails
  • Text messages

To keep verbal conversations, you can’t record your phone conversations without the other party’s consent due to Florida’s status as a two-party consent state. But, you can save messages recorded on voicemail. That way, there is a record of what is said.

It’s smart to keep records. Why? If you have records, you never have to worry about falling into the “he said, she said” trap. Instead, you’ll have all the evidence you need to show exactly what you did or did not say and what was said to you.

Written forms of communication are the best option for recording the data. Your attorney can talk to you more about how to track your conversations if there are issues that you need to track when you speak with your estranged or ex-spouse.

FindLaw Network